Greetings from Lansing, Michigan. Home to the International Union of Elevator Constructors Local 85. We are the Mechanics, Apprentices and Helpers that build, maintain, repair, and modernize elevators, escalators, dumbwaiters, stage lifts, moving walks, wheelchair lifts and other vertical transportation equipment in Michigan. As an AFL/CIO affiliated labor union, we provide bargaining unit representation, education, pension, medical, dental, vision plan and other traditional union services to our members.
The objectives of the International Union of Elevator Constructors (IUEC) are to:
- Implement the exercise of the natural right of workers to organize that they may more securely work with dignity
- Enable its members to participate actively in self-government
- Unite into one International Union all workers eligible for membership, regardless of religion, race, creed, color, national origin, age, or sex
- Secure improved wages, hours, working conditions and other economic advantages for the members through collective bargaining, through advancement of our standing in the community and in the labor movement, and through other lawful methods
- Provide educational advancement and training for officers, employees and members
- Safeguard and promote the principle of free collective bargaining, the rights of workers, and the security and welfare of all the people by political, educational and other community activity
- Protect and strengthen our democratic institutions and preserve and perpetuate the cherished traditions of democracy
- Protect and preserve the union as an institution and in the performance of its legal and contractual obligations
The objective of National Elevator Industry Education Program (NEIEP) is to:
- Improve the knowledge and skills of helpers, apprentices, and mechanics not only for their benefit, but for the benefit of their employer and industry
United We Stand, Divided We Fall.